Work & Volunteer Opportunities
Paid, Unpaid, Tuition-Charging, Short-Term, Long-Term, Intern, or Volunteer
There are many different options for working abroad. Tuition-charging internships provide degree credit, and sometimes financial aid is available. Volunteer positions often provide room and board. Internships, paid or unpaid, provide professional work experience, whereas volunteering usually means working with people whose needs are underserved. All these options allow students the opportunity to become integrated into the culture.
Many students complete an internship or service learning experience as part of their study abroad experience. Study Abroad program providers often provide unpaid (possibly credit bearing) internships and/or service learning experiences as a part of their package to students. During the summer these programs may offer internship only or volunteer only options.
Carnegie Mellon departments and student organizations sponsor a number of work and volunteer opportunities abroad- most of which occur during academic break periods such as spring break, winter break and summer.
- IAESTE: International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience
- iSTEP: Innovative Student Technology ExPerience, click here for a short video on this opportunity.
- Technology Consulting in the Global Community (TCinGC)
There are many options for working abroad during or after your Carnegie Mellon Experience. Our list below is a great way to start looking for opportunities and information about working abroad.
- The Carnegie Mellon Career & Professional Development Center
- COINED- internships abroad
- Connect 1-2-3
- Cultural Vistas
- Going Global
- Intrax Internships Abroad
- Jobs Abroad which is maintained by GoAbroad.com.
- Overseas Jobs Express
- The Big Guide to Living and Working Overseas
- The University of Michigan International Center
- The University of Minnesota Learning Abroad Center
- The WWW Virtual Library which is an International Affairs Resources Study and Work Abroad website maintained by Elizabethtown College.
- Transitions Abroad website which provides many useful articles and books available for purchase.
- United Planet
- BUNAC (provides work permits)
- Escape Artist
- European Council of International Schools
- Global Careers
- Graduate Recruitment Bureau
- International Career Center (fee for posting resume)
- International Development
- International Jobs Center("Hot Jobs" listing is free)
- Mind Exchange
- One Small Planet
- Overseas Jobs
- The Employment Guide
- The Riley Guide
- United Nations Human Resources (jobs in the UN System)
- U.S. Department of State
- Cultural Vistas
- CDS International
- EMGIP - Emigre Memorial German Internship Program
- Japanese External Trade Organization
- US Department of State
Internships Abroad via Study Abroad
- American Institute for Foreign Study
- IES Abroad
- IIE Passport
- International Research and Exchanges Board
- International Studies Abroad
- Knowledge Exchange Institute
- Social Science Research Council
- Council on International Educational Exchange
- Dave's ESL Cafe
- Friends of World Teaching
- International Schools Service (placement agency)
- Ohayo Sensei (Japan)
- Peace Corps
- TESL/FL Resource Guide (FAQ about ESL teaching requirements)
- The Japane Exchange and Teaching Programme
- UNI Overseas Placement (placement agency)
- US Department of State (list of organizations that recruit teachers abroad)
- World Teach
- Aid Workers Network (forum for aid workers)
- Alliance Abroad Group
- Cross-Cultural Solutions
- Global Service Corps
- Volunteer Abroad Reviews
- International Service Learning
- Peace Corps
- Solar Light for Africa
- VSO Canada
- Witness for Peace
Many religious organizations also have volunteer opportunities.
- Careers and the International MBA (Career Center)
- Current Jobs International (Career Center)
- Directory of American Firms Operating in Foreign Countries (Hunt Library)
- Directory of Foreign Firms Operating in the US (Hunt Library)
- Directory of Jobs and Careers Abroad (Career Center)
- Global Resume and CV Guide (Career Center, highly recommended)
- Going Global Country Career Guide (Career Center, highly recommended)
- International Business Etiquette (Career Center)
- Work Abroad (Career Center)
Still need more resources? Visit our Funding resources.