Funding-Study Abroad - Carnegie Mellon University


Most Carnegie Mellon students who study abroad during the academic year are able to utilize their existing Carnegie Mellon scholarships as well as federal and state financial aid. However, there is no institutional, federal or state funding for summer study abroad, so students will need to look for scholarships to help with summer funding.  A student's enrollment in a program of study abroad approved for credit by CMU may be considered enrollment at CMU for the purpose of applying for assistance under Title IV, of the Higher Education Act, as amended.

Tips for identifying and receiving study abroad funding:

  • Start early:  Most programs expect that students will apply a semester or year in advance of studying abroad.
  • Think broadly:  Students might be able to access funding specifically for women, certain racial or cultural minorities, targeted academic majors or study in less traveled parts of the world.
  • Look at a lot of resources:  It may take some searching before finding the right one.
  • Target the application:  Know the goals and interests of the funding agency when applying, and target the application specifically to them.
  • Ask for recommendations:  Recommendation letters, if required, should come from a current professor, supervisor or academic advisor.

There are many sources of funding for overseas study:

Countries with a US State Department Travel Warning are not eligible for CMU funding during the time the Warning is in effect.