Monday, April 2, 2012
Spring 2012 CPT Sessions
IF YOU ARE GRADUATING THIS SEMESTER, THIS MESSAGE DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Dear F-1 Students:
Do you have an internship or other off-campus employment this summer in your MAJOR field of study? If so, read this message carefully.
If you are not completing your program and intend to work off campus this summer, you will need to apply for employment authorization. You may be eligible to apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT).
To apply, you must first read the CPT handout. Follow the instructions in the handout and submit the required paperwork to OIE for CPT authorization BEFORE you begin employment.
We will hold CPT walk-in application sessions in the OIE office. Sessions begin AFTER summer registration opens on April 16 because you must be enrolled for a summer internship/practicum course PRIOR to applying for CPT. You must bring your completed application to OIE. Unless otherwise noted, all sessions will be from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m.
Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 4:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Thursday, April 19, 2012
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Monday, April 30, 2012
Friday, May 4, 2012
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Monday, May 14, 2012
During our walk-in sessions, you may arrive at any time between 12:00 and 1:00 (or 4:00 and 5:00 as noted). At the session, you will speak briefly with an advisor and submit your completed application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. You do not need to make an appointment for this session but you MUST bring the following items with you:
- REQUIRED: Your valid passport.
- REQUIRED: The Advisor Recommendation for Curricular Practical Training form (see CPT instructions) completed by an academic advisor, department head, or dean.
- REQUIRED: An employment offer letter (OIE will keep this copy - copies cannot be made at OIE). Underline the following required elements PRIOR to the session:
- number of hours per week OR full-time/part-time
- employer/company address with zip code
- start date of employment (must be a date in the future)
- end date of employment
- Note: Firm dates must be included in the letter - OIE cannot accept offer letters without this (e.g., "10-week internship").
IMPORTANT: Your company's offer letter may be missing all the information required for CPT. If your letter is missing information, you will need to contact your employer for another letter or a separate email containing the missing elements. Print this and bring it with you to the walk-in session.
- REQUIRED: Proof of enrollment for an internship/practicum course. Follow the instructions to print your course registration from SIO:
- Click "Course Schedule"
- "Semester Schedule"
- Select correct term (ex: summer) for the correct year
- Print the "List" version that shows BOTH the course name and number.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
You cannot begin employment until you receive authorization (a new CPT I-20 from OIE), so plan ahead! The CPT I-20 will take 3-4 business days to be processed. The new I-20 will have a travel signature. KEEP ALL previously issued I-20s; the new I-20 should be presented at the border.
If your program does not have an internship/practicum requirement or option, you will need to obtain a different type of employment authorization such as Optional Practical Training (OPT). To apply for OPT, please attend an OPT information/application session at OIE. Register online for an OPT session. OPT applications take 2-3 months to be approved at USCIS.