Carnegie Mellon University is home to 250+ student-run organizations recognized by Student Government. The Office of Student Activities organizes a Fall and Winter Activities Fair that will showcase many of our student organizations. Groups span a wide variety of interests and passions representing religious/spiritual, community service/philanthropy, student government, media/publications, club sports/martial arts, professional/academic, political, performance/artistic, gaming, technology, and general interest opportunities.
These fairs are a great way for undergraduate and graduate student organizations to showcase their group, recruit new members, and publicize upcoming programs and initiatives. In addition, these fairs will be a great way for undergraduate and graduate students to find their niche at Carnegie Mellon University.
Fairs for 2014 Academic Year
Winter Activities Fair | Wednesday, January 22, 2014 | 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. | Wiegand Gym, University Center
- Online registration for the Winter Activities Fair will start Monday, January 6, 2014 at 8 AM.
Activities Fair Layout by Alpha Order (TBD) Activities Fair Layout by Table Order (TBD)
Registration Information for Student Organizations:
Registration is limited only to student government recognized student organizations. Space is limited and will be filled on a first-come, first-served registration basis, so apply as soon as possible!
Registration will remain open until all available reserved Activities Fair tables are assigned. The Activities Fair Coordinator will notify student organizations via e-mail of their Activities Fair status: Approved, Denied due to space or Denied due to recognition status. You will find out your table number upon check-in at the Fair.
Groups can contact Kaycee Palko to be added to the wait list after registration closes and table spots are full.
Preparing for the Activities Fair:
Please review the following expectations and tips, which will help prepare you for a successful Activities Fair experience and get your organization off to a great start:
Before the Fair
- Complete the registration form in its entirety.
- Check to make sure your student organization profile in The Bridge is up to date.
- Meet with members from your student organization to plan and prepare for your Activities Fair table. There will be less work on just one person and you'll have more fun. Remember to include those members who are a part of your organization but who might not hold a leadership position.
- Create a display that is engaging and will appeal to your audience. You will be provided with a banquet table 6 feet in length and two chairs. Although it is not anticipated, due to space constraints we might ask you to share space with a neighboring group. Please indicate on your registration form if you are willing to share your table.
- Brainstorm with organization members a creative giveaway to pass out to visitors at the fair. (Note: live animals are not permitted as giveaways).
- Plan when and where your first meeting after the Activities Fair will be. Have this information ready to give to new members so they can plan to attend.
During the Fair
- Arrive to set up your Activities Fair display on time. You will be able to check in at the Student Activities table starting at 3:30pm. We suggest that you check in by 4:15pm at the latest. If you have not checked into the Student Activities table by 4:45p.m., then your table will be forfeited.
- Have members available at your Activities Fair table to answer questions. Be proactive and approach students instead of just setting up a display and standing beside it.
- Have a sign-up sheet ready to collect the name, email and phone of those interested in being a part of your group.
- Do not expect to have access to electrical outlets. Generators are not permitted. We ask that any music or recorded sound be played only at a level that does not impede conversations at the table next to you.
- We will not be able to provide performance or demonstration space for your organization. However, if you are interested in showcasing your group’s talents, consider hosting a Late Night event! Please contact the Graduate Assistant for Late Night Programming at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
After the Fair
- The fair ends at 6:30 p.m (6 p.m. for the Fall Activities Fair). Please make sure to clean-up around your table area and discard any trash. This is extremely helpful to members of the Student Activities Staff cleaning up.
- Get ready for your information session that interested students will attend.
- Follow up with interested students within a week of the Activities Fair with a personal e-mail or phone call to let them know of upcoming meetings. The personal touch will help make your organization stand apart.